October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month and the month when U-M holds the annual Diversity Summit. In honor of these important occasions, the B&F Diversity Working Group invites all B&F to learn more about diversity in two Zoom webinars: “Disability Awareness” and “Disability Etiquette.” Both one-hour sessions will be facilitated by Christina Kline, ADA Coordinator and Associate Director in the Office for Institutional Equity. Details can be found on the flyer here and below.
Session 1: “Disability Awareness” on Friday, October 16, at 10:00am
Session 2: “Disability Etiquette” on Tuesday, October 20, at 2:00pm
In these two sessions, you will learn to:
- Recognize the impact of language as it pertains to the topic of disability
- Apply specific tips for communicating with individuals with disabilities
- Determine how your own unintentional biases and assumptions about individuals with disabilities may interfere with your ability to relate well with individuals who have disabilities
- Use appropriate questions to determine whether an individual with a disability need assistance or accommodation.
- Identify ways to better help individuals with disabilities, including those accompanied by service animals
Note: you are encouraged to attend both sessions, but can still benefit by attending only one.
With questions, please contact Tina Jordan at firstname.lastname@example.org